Name Origin: Old English Pondestock monastry with a pound
From the Doomsday Book
The Land of the King
St KewTwo manors, PODESTOT and St Gennys, have been taken from the manor. 1½ hides. Land for 12 ploughs.Lovin holds them from the Count of Mortain. Formerly 60s; value now 40s.
Land of the Count of Mortain
Lovin holds PONDESTOCH. Gytha held it before 1066, and paid tax for 1 virgate of land; 1 hide there, however. Land for 6 ploughs; 1½ ploughs there, with 1 slave and 1 villager and 5 smallholders. Woodland, 10 acres; pastures, 40 acres. Value formerly and now 20s. [10 cattle; 50 sheep Exon]This land is of St Kews.
From A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, 1831
POUNDSTOCK, a parish in the hundred of LESNEWTH, county of CORNWALL, 4¾ miles (S.S.W.) from Stratton, containing 744 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cornwall, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the kings's books at £13. 6. 5., and in the patronage of John Dayman, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Neot. The parish is bounded on the west by Widemouth bay, in the Bristol channel. A fair is held on the Monday before Ascension-day.
Poundstock, three miles north-west of Week St. Mary is the site of Penfound Manor, the oldest inhabited manor house in Britain. Part Saxon, part Norman with Elizabethan and Stuart additions: it was mentioned in the Domesday Book. The 14th century Guildhouse, restored in 1919, is the only one still in use in Cornwall; the upper floor of the two storey cob and stone building has a lofty timbered roof and medieval doorway.